Friday, September 16, 2011

It ain't Game Over for Nokia, yet !!

Hola !

I'm sure some of must have come across my blog app called The Maverick which went up on the Nokia Ovi Store. And when I checked this morning on my application summary report on my developer's page, I was surprised to see that my app has been downloaded from 6 different countries already ! So much for motivation :) cheers guys, I'm flattered !!



I've been wanting to blog about the Nokia App Wizard which I stumbled upon few days ago. To be honest, my regards for Nokia went up a tad for sure. I was very excited to see that it is all free to make your own app and that anyone with absolutely no programming skills could conjure up one. My first thought was to see if I could create a Symbian app for BeanHunter. But, soon enough my hopes were let down when I realized after signing in that there aren't too many options on what apps can be created. I was about to sigh in disappointment, when my eyes caught the Blogger Logo on the screen and I thought, "Wow, now that's not a bad idea. Let me make an app for my own blog!"

So I started off. Let me tell you this, it was easy enough and it wasn't too misleading after all the effort I put into deciding what pictures to choose to display as the logo, what to name my app etc. when finally Nokia allowed me to submit my app for their review before it went up on the Ovi Store. I was a bit skeptical that I might have to pay a small fee on submission that would have thwarted my plans. Anyways, so everything went on just fine and I got my app approved in less than 24 hours.

As I said before, I was impressed by Nokia's constant efforts to keep improving their services though I'm sure they themselves know they are fighting a losing battle to win back once loyal Nokia customers from Apple and Google with the launch of the iPhones and the Androids respectively. But Nokia has certainly not decided to give up without a good fight back. Yes, I do realize most of you would say that is a very meager attempt on Nokia's part at playing catch up with Android et. al. I wouldn't so much say myself that Nokia has upped it's ante, still, over the last few months, I was happy to have gotten Ovi apps for the World Rally Championship, Formula 1, and from a utility point of view, it even released an app for the Melbourne Transport Network - The Metlink. Now, that stunned me a little because who would have thought Nokia is even used so much in Melbourne. I rarely see a Nokia Smartphone here in Melbourne, though occasionally when I do I feel privileged to be part of that small and 'niche' community we've become !

Well, my loyalty has been attributed sheerly to the utilitarian and value for money aspects of my Nokia Smartphone than any intangible emotional attachment to Nokia. I don't mind saying that I would have gone for Droid if  there were any phones offering me the same specifications at the same price, and most importantly not compromising battery life !

So, for all you Nokia Smartphone users out there, the Nokia App Wizard is really something to cheer about and check out. Here is the link to the page, http://appwizard.ovi.com/web_nokia/signIn.jsp

Hope you enjoy it !! 

Inner Peace \m/

$ur


No comments: