Saturday, September 24, 2011

Beating the Stress - Take 2

Hola,

Well, following my last post, I would like to add few more cues which I left out last time around.

I guess it makes sense to keep in touch or brush up those skills on your resume if you made the resume quite a while back when you graduated or last worked, but you are still looking for roles in that area. Well, I was finding it hard as the courses I did were quite technical and there is no way that I can get all the software that I used when I studied them at the university. Perhaps some of you used them at your previous workplace and don't have a personal copy of those anymore. Though I have to be careful not to endorse torrent sites to find these softwares ;), there is however a good chance you might find a copy there !

Or maybe you never knew before that the Linux, or more specifically the Ubuntu software repository has a lot of open source, free to download software for a number of different areas of study. They even have some finite element analysis (FEM) software !! Now, that came as quite a surprise to me. FEM software as such take time to get the hang of and I don't know how much less friendly a Linux version of that might be, but that said, I did download it to check out. Will be doing so sometime soon !

For those management guys out there, the repository has also got mind-mapping, statistical and a variety other software. Ah, well this I included for the specific benefits of few friends who said mind-mapping is all they do all the time these days :P !!

Well, so now that you've worked your way around getting that specific software tool, let's see if there is an alternative to re-reading all those lecture notes or presentations too ! When I graduated few months back and was looking out for jobs, I was already a bit grey on some of the advanced topics I had covered in my Uni, and some people advised that I keep reading my notes and ppts. But this is something that is easier said than done. It's one thing to go through your notes for an interview that is scheduled and totally another thing staying in touch by reading them every week till it gets into your long term memory ! 

A solution to this is to try and find web seminars in your areas of interest. These will most often be provided by leading companies in respective areas of expertise, usually offered free of charge. Although, prior registration might be mandatory. Trust me, this is something I have been doing the last few weeks and not what I picked up from some random career advice website, which mostly may not work for all you know :P

Wow, so much for keeping you razor sharp ! And not to forget the Zombie games that'll keep you firing all cylinders ;)

Inner Peace \m/

$ur

No comments: