Saturday, April 17, 2010

\m/ Godsmack - A Tribute \m/

I can't help but wonder why Godmack, such a godly awesome "Heavy" Rock band is so very less known and followed by hard and heavy rock and metal music fans !! I have asked many and they have of course heard of them; but back India, when I've been to gigs, none of the local bands ever played covers of Godsmack; more interestingly, they are hardly even spoken about in the Rock/Metal world than by few hardcore fans such as myself ! 

One of the things I like most about this band is the notably big difference in the singing style of Sully Erna, the front man and vocalist of Godsmack; which is I think is one of the purest forms of clean growling vocals. This is something which even death vocalists don't normally do. Death vocals - both the screech and growl versions, are something different altogether. It takes more practice, patience and even a whole of breathing and vocal exercises than clean singing; but blood curdling clean growls is something of the genetics than anything else and that I think is what distinguishes the singing style of Sully from others. Maybe this is also one of the main reasons why bands don't try to play their covers !!

They are widely popular in the US and are known to have some of the best live shows ever. They have been nominated for the Grammys several times and have toured around the world several times which have made them very popular. Well, this therefore sounds very paradoxical, when I say, their band merchandise is very rarely seen in the shops. I myself have inquired at many shops here in Australia , only to hear "Ah..Nah mate..we haven't got anything of Godsmack" ; I'm like why !!?? It is not like they don't know of the band here :P, but simply that they haven't got it. 

I had this feeling therefore that, I have got to do something in my own way to let at least a few random blog readers know of this band. Maybe something like a tribute in the form a blog post dedicated to one of the best ever in the business and one of the bands I have been most loyal to, ever since I started my relationship with rock music. I'm sure people who have listened to Godsmack, are absolutely psyched about them; but for those of you are new this band and are fans of rock music, this is one of the bands you shouldn't miss listening to; correction, Head banging to \m/ !

11 Personal Recommendations -  (For a complete experience, watch their videos !!)
  1. Re-Align 
  2. Straight Out of Line
  3. I Stand Alone - Live version
  4. Doing the Best I Can
  5. Voodoo 
  6. Changes
  7. Serenity
  8. Awake
  9. Enemy
  10. Releasing the Demons
  11. Speak
\m/ Peace \m/,

$ur





3 comments:

FoxyArchitect said...

Dude...You actually took words right out of my head. 'Godly-awesome', indeed! Godsmack is one of the 'BEST-pure-AWESOME' heavy metal bands around and Sully's voice totally rocks!. [And I'm not saying this just because I'm a die-hard fan :)! ]

\m/

Unknown said...

;) Thanks La ! There r fans of Alice in Chains who are very anti-Godsmack and I got that when I posted the link on fb..I wanted to write a post on AIC as well..some other time..hands r very full rite nw !!

Cheers

FoxyArchitect said...

Your right,most people think Godsmack is an Alice in Chains rip-off..hmmm...Anyway, do write when you get time :)