Saturday, August 25, 2012

Nokia's Leap with Lumia

About 6 months back or so, I had blogged about how Nokia has been trying to keep it's loyal clientele happy with teeny weeny offerings such as the customizable apps for Symbian based Nokia smartphones !

I myself thought Nokia was almost out of the game when the Droids and iPhones were so much more intuitive and feature rich, while Nokia was still making phones on it's age old Symbian OS with updates that failed to capture anybody's attention. But then came the Lumia ! Bham !

Firstly, the Metro interface of the OS, then the awe inspiring form factor and the Nokia True Black screen resolution/clarity, Lumia is just mind blowing ! Bringing in a lot of innovation, and thankfully  with an interface that even a Droid or iOS will drool over, Mr. Jobs himself would have been pleased to see this one !

I'm certainly not a person who buys the hottest thing on the market just because everyone's after it. But the first chance I got to check out this Baby - Lumia 800, whoa, it really made my eyes ogle.

So off I started with my research.

Sure, there were some minor software bugs reported, being the first generation of it's kind. But overall, the experience I felt was worth owning ! Then on, I tried to find reasons why it would suite my needs :P lol. Well not exactly, but I did read on a lot of different forums that most of the glitches were minor and fixes for poor battery life and tethering were just around the corner.

The thing I've realized about the battery life that seems most important is whether it will give you enough to get you through your entire day - 8 am to 11 pm or no more than 15 hrs. (A post will be dedicated for this one !!) and I managed to get a pretty accurate estimate that the Lumia will not fail my expectations !

Next what I loved was the social networking integration in the OS. Further, the MS Office productivity suite and the ever growing app store gave me a strong impetus to zero in on Lumia. Given a choice, I would have opted for the newer of the Lumias, the 900. But it was more expensive and available only in the US with the Verizon bundle. Basically, this one has a bigger screen, a faster processor and a better battery (though the processor will drain out more, giving it only a slight edge). But importantly, the newer one might be the first of the Lumias to support the Windows Apollo / 8 OS. But alas, this wasn't an option, so I settled for the Lumia 800.



But, I must add I certainly hadn't settled for anything less ! Pure indulgence is what you get with this smartphone ! Be it web browsing, Xbox gaming, Office suite use, scheduling and RSVP'ing events, social networking or navigation in some of the most interior of places, I'm thoroughly happy with my decision. It puts out a decent 12-15 hours of charge on heavy usage and close to a day on moderate usage. 

I feel Nokia has really stepped up their ante in the Smartphone arena with the launch of Lumia following their collaboration with Microsoft. I'm still hoping though, that Nokia realizes sooner than later, what Apple's success factor has been with it's iPhone - providing iOS upgrades across all the models. If Nokia can somehow manage to pull this one off by making Lumia 710 or at least 800 upgradeable to Win 8, that'll be a huge bonus in terms of customer base retention !!

More to follow..

$ur


No comments: